Emergency Water Damage Cleanup and Repair in Acworth, Alpharetta, Canton, Kennesaw, Marietta, Roswell Woodstock and all points in between.
|Not What You Are Looking For?
If water damage is not remedied quickly mold and mildew can cause major damage and become a health hazard.
Hundreds of people each day find themselves the victim of water damage. Most water damage occurs due to an act of nature or from a plumbing failure. Identifying the source of the water intrusion, repairing problem and then repair the
damage left behind by water and moisture are typically the first steps a homeowner must take after experiencing water intrusion.
If water damage is not remedied quickly mold and mildew can cause major damage and become a health hazard. Hundreds of people each day find themselves the victim of water damage. Most water damage occurs due to an act of nature or from a plumbing failure. Identifying the source of the water intrusion, repairing problem and then repair the damage left behind by water and moisture are typically the first steps a homeowner must take after experiencing water intrusion.
Locating the Source of the Water Intrusion
When dealing with water intrusion, broken plumbing pipes or fixtures are the easiest causes to deal with. Slow leaks in walls, tub and shower areas that were not properly sealed or where plumbing has been improperly installed are the tough ones. Once these types of issues begin to show their face, the majority of damage has been done.
When faced with water damage, the first step is to locate the source of the water and attempt to control the leak. Turn off the water to the fixture, stop using the area where the leak has occurred and if necessary turn off the water to the home. Call in a plumbing contractor, roofing or home inspector to locate and repair the problem.
Water Damage Cleanup
Once the repairs have been made, eradicating the signs of water damage is the next step. Home service companies that specialize in fire and flood damage assist homeowners in mold remediation and if called soon enough can save a homeowner thousands in repairs just by drying out the affected area properly.
There are a few things that homeowners faced with water damage can do while waiting for the fire and flood restoration company to arrive:
Once the water restoration specialist arrives they will be able to move the process to the next level hopefully preventing any mold or mildew from growing.
- Make sure the electric is shut off to the affected area by turning off the circuit breakers at the breaker box.
- If there is standing water, locate and open a drain.
- Use a wet/dry vac to suck up the water.
- If the water is deep and there is not a a drain, if the plumber could not open the drain or the water is not receding, use a submersible pump to eject the water. Submersible pumps can be found at local hardware and equipment rental services.
- Remove all furniture and other items from the affected area.
- Check the legs of any items that cannot be easily removed, as they may rust or stain the carpet. Place a plastic or rubber barrier, such as a heavy duty garbage bag under each leg to prevent staining.
- Get the air circulating by opening the windows. If the electrical system has not been affected, begin to run fans and dehumidifiers in the affected area.
Finding Water Restoration Specialists and Reputable Contractors
Repairing water damage after cleanup can be a big expensive job. Hiring a reputable licensed contractor will ensure the repairs are done properly. Talk to family and friends to see who they have used in the past. Be sure to ask if they would use them again. Asking this simple question may reveal valuable some insight.
If the repairs are extensive, call the county building department to see if a permit is required for the repairs to be completed. Ask for a list of registered contractors, even ask the clerks at the building department who they would recommend.
Published with permission – this article was originally published on April 28, 2010 under the byline Katrina E. Rief-D’Errico at Suite101: Emergency Water Damage Cleanup and Repair